Oct 15, 2009
RICHMOND, Va., Oct. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- With the chill of autumn already in the air, now is the perfect time to begin "winterizing" your home.
One of the best places to begin is with Dominion Virginia Power's free online energy calculators at http://www.dom.com/about/conservation/energy-calculators-help-find-energy-savings.jsp.
The online home and business energy calculators can help you quickly identify the necessary steps and potential savings, whether it is placing more insulation in the attic or installing energy-saving CFL bulbs. For best results, have your electricity bill handy so you can enter your specific energy-use information.
"We encourage our customers to use energy wisely and find ways to remain comfortable while saving money," said Paul D. Koonce, chief executive officer of Dominion Virginia Power. "Like all projects, the best first step is to develop a good plan.
"Dominion's Web site offers a wide selection of information to help our customers find the projects that are best suited to their particular homes. It is also a good feeling to know you are doing your part to help the environment."
October is National Energy Awareness Month. This year the emphasis is on individuals doing their part to create a sustainable energy future.
To prepare your house for winter, some important steps you should take include:
- Regularly replacing or cleaning filters of forced air furnaces.
- Having your heating system inspected annually by a qualified professional.
- Making sure you are not losing heated air through loose or faulty connections in your home's ductwork.
In addition to the energy calculators, the Dominion Virginia Power Web site has extensive information about saving energy.
- For a quick, basic energy maintenance checklist, visit: http://www.dom.com/about/conservation/maintenance-checklist.jsp
- For 10 important conservation measures, including short instructional videos, to help you save energy this winter, visit: http://www.dom.com/about/conservation/winter-tips.jsp
- Simple, easy energy-saving ideas are available at: http://www.dom.com/about/conservation/easiest-energy-savers.jsp
- Or, to simply join an ongoing conversation about saving energy and helping the environment, explore the Dominion Energy Conservation blog at: http://e-conserve.blogspot.com/
- Many other Web sites offer information about how to save energy. For example, visit: http://ase.org/content/article/detail/965 to find "no-cost, low-cost" energy saving ideas from the Alliance to Save Energy.
Helpful information also can be found at ENERGY STAR® sites run by the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Here are several:
With winter coming, Dominion also asks everyone to consider making a contribution to EnergyShare, a program that helps those in need keep their homes warm during the winter and cool in the summer after all other forms of assistance have been exhausted.
EnergyShare is now accepting applications. Customers can call (888) 667-3000 or visit www.dom.com, keyword EnergyShare, to locate an agency where they can apply.
Customers can contribute to EnergyShare by adding an extra $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $25 or $35 monthly to their Dominion Virginia Power bills or by including a separate check for any amount with their payments. All contributions are tax deductible and can be mailed to EnergyShare, P.O. Box 11186, Richmond, VA 23230-1186.
Dominion (NYSE: D) is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of more than 27,500 megawatts of generation. Dominion operates the nation's largest natural gas storage systems and serves retail energy customers in 12 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's Web site at www.dom.com.
SOURCE Dominion Virginia Power
SOURCE: Dominion Virginia Power
Web site: http://www.dom.com/